Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday, 8 January 2008: Dogs and blogs!


Dogs inside and outside Thatchwick!
Today I launched Thatchwick.blogspot.com. I sent SMS messages and emails to friends far and wide inviting them to peek inside my world. Now I await their responses. I am still struggling with glitches in fonts and layout but am getting there fast. My thanks to Silver Bell Cottage which has been my inspiration.
As for dogs - I was recently touched reading Abigail Thomas' memoir: "A three dog life". Abigail's husband was severely injured in a car accident and spent the rest of his life in a nursing facility. Abigail's days after this tragedy have been enriched by her three dogs, among others. This echoes my own experience - after losing my husband of nearly 31 years, my (our) dogs have been my comfort and inspiration. After all, who can sink into depression and stay under the covers when you are awakened every morning at 4:30 for a early morning walk, come rain or shine? Thank you, Trist and Gal, two wonderful canine knights!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Eleanor ~ I am so deeply touched by your kind words. What a lovely, charming cottage you have. And your sweet and faithful companions. I just adore labs. I just read Anna Quindlan's beautiful little memoir about her black lab of fifteen years; the book is called Good Dog. Stay. Your blog is wonderful, and I am sure you will in turn be a welcome place for many, many people. What do you teach?
Alexandra

Kelli said...

Hi Eleanor,
Welcome to the blogosphere! You have such a lovely cottage. I look forward to hearing more about your life there. Our two pooches are my comfort and joy too! The book you recommend sounds beautiful.
Have a great Tuesday!
Kelleigh