Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Monday, 16 February '09: The Serious Scribbler and her poetry debut



Passionate Poet Laureate of Blogland, Poetikat, has deemed me worthy of the Serious Scribbler Award. Instead of the usual acceptance speech, I shall make my debut as a poetess. Yes, poetess. Notwithstanding my rather well-known feminist leanings, I would you prefer it if you address me as a poetess. Such a pretty word, redolent of Elizabeth Browning reclining on a chaise longue and Emily Bronte, scribbling beside the fire while the wind wuthers in the trees.

In line with last week's canine sentiments, here is my first poem to be published on the Net!

Puzzlement by Yours truly

I am puzzled why poets
So seldom wrote
About
Dogs.

Is it that commonplace
Humdrum loyalty is
Assumed
Taken-for-granted
Unnoticed
In favour of the more exalted?

1 April 2001.


Now I must return the honour.

1 Claire who shows great potential as photographer, writer and poet(ess).
2 Barbara Martin, friend, conservationist and writer of captivating fantasy who lives in the most beautiful neck of this world's woods.
3 Alexandra, my original bloggy inspiration and also Poet Laureate of Blogland. Please note the title of Laureate is shared by several poet(esses).
4 Pammie Jo, an avid reader and as you know, in every reader is a budding writer just tucked away waiting to emerge.
4 And the same goes for Sally, Blogland's smiling lady!

Here are the rules for the winners:

Each Superior Scribbler must in turn pass The Award on to 5 most-deserving Bloggy Friends.
Each Superior Scribbler must link to the author & the name of the blog from whom he/she has received The Award.
Each Superior Scribbler must display The Award on his/her blog, and link to This Post, which explains The Award.
Each Blogger who wins The Superior Scribbler Award must visit this post and add his/her name to the Mr. Linky List. That way, we’ll be able to keep up-to-date on everyone who receives This Prestigious Honor!
Each Superior Scribbler must post these rules on his/her blog.

Oops, I myself never linked to Mr Linky so off to do so! And more Awards to post in this star-studded week. Ah, the trials of the talented!

12 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

I like your poem, and my dogs do, too. We should never take them for granted, should we?
Congratulations, Poetess, on your award!

Best wishes, Cass

Kat Mortensen said...

Ooh, you're good! I love the repetitive sounds of seldom,commonplace and humdrum. How true your words ring!

You are most deserving, Eleanor.

Kat

pammiejo said...

Thank you VERY MUCH for the award! It could be there's a writer "tucked away" inside this avid reader - not tried that part out much but I do admire a good writer!! I'll get to posting about my award! PAM

Barbara Martin said...

Eleanor, thank you for the award. I'm pleased your like the environment posts. They are my little reminders to the world to sit up and take notice of what is around them.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Congratulations, Eleanor! I love your poem.

I tried to comment yesterday on your beautiful posy, but all the 'post comment' buttons had vanished!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Congratulations on your award, Eleanor, and I wonder the same thing about dogs, too!

Hope you have a lovely week...

XO,

Sheil :-)

Janet said...

Well done, and well deserved! I loved the story about your doggies taking care of you, and what a beautiful posy! Been out of action for a couple days, busy catching up. Have a happy week Poetess!

Unknown said...

That debut simply took too many years! There is some talent hiding there...

Thank you for this very special award.

I fully agree about the commercial side of valentines. I am however glad that you celebrated it in style with your friends.

We fly Apr 14. Starting to get scared and teary now but still keen on the challenge.

Have a happy and productive week!

Claire

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Edward and I both adore your poem! How could we not!!? And, loved all of your recent dog tributes. We are both truly blessed with our canine friends!!

Congratulations on your much deserved award, too!

Vicki Lane said...

Eleanor, what a beautiful blog! The birds, the animals, the flowers! I've linked to you as I expect readers at my blog will enjoy a trip to South Africa.

I'll be back.

Vicki in the mountains of North Carolina, USA

SmilingSally said...

Oh my, oh my. First, I spotted a post that I had neglected to read. (tsk, tsk) Then, I see a dog poem (filling the void). Next, I see my name! (*blink*) Finally, I see the tag. (Uh, gasp... I must WRiTE! Thank you?)

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me know about the award. I saw it and left a comment of thanks. It really means a lot.

Hope work is not getting the better of you.

All our things are falling into place. We are blessed in abundance.

C