Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuesday 9 June '09: The FIFA Confederation Cup, 2009 is in My World

Hey, all you soccer fans across the globe! Pretoria is gearing up for the FIFA Confederations Cup to be played in South Africa from 14 to 28 June. This sporting event is held in the World Cup host country a year before the really big event - the 2010 World Cup. But the Confederations Cup is major happening in its own right as six continental champions come up against the World Cup holders and the hosts, Bafana Bafana.

In Pretoria the games will be played at Loftus Versfeld Stadium (homeground of the Blue Bulls rugby team), just a short drive from my home. Now I must confess I am not a soccer nor a rugby fan; but the enthusiasm is contagious. At present massive road works are underway to updrade the transport network in Jo'burg and Pretoria for the 2010 event. We in this part of the world are very hospitable folk and I am know that these events are going to be great success. I just love the official emblem, a soccer ball in the colours of our flag!




7 comments:

Larry D said...

This looks to be an incredible event!

Janet said...

YEAH! I got my tickets yesterday - giving them to Stacey and Philip - they're going to see Bafana Bafana against Iraq at the opening game on Sunday! Me? Going to stay at home and ready my book! :)

Gaelyn said...

Sounds like a fun event. My son played soccer and I coached. But I have to admit I'm not a watcher of soccer. When in 2010 is the bigger event?

SandyCarlson said...

That is one humdinger of a stadium!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a boon to your economy and infrastructure. I'm not into soccer either but that fish plate to the right looks awfully good....

Arija said...

Hope you enjoy all the associated exitement of the occasion.

Kat Mortensen said...

I was just thinking of you today as we were watching the Confed Cup match between SA and Brazil. So sorry that Brazil won. SA was holding them at bay for the longest time. You know my husband is mad for football - it's on this house all the time! (Please tell those SA supporters to stop blowing those horns - I feel as if I'm in a hive of bees.)

Love,

Kat