Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wednesday, 26 January 2011: Look who's visiting!

Look who's visiting Thatchwick at present? A grey hornbill pair and their rather large chick. The grey hornbill is a resident of the thornveld and is a common in the northern part of southern Africa. A nesting pair of hornbills is uncommon in a suburban garden in Pretoria.

I have encountered hornbills passing by during the last two or three years - stopping usually for a scratch around my compost heap. But this time, they are here to stay and doing very nicely on a diet of Hills omega enriched pellets for elderly dogs! A bag of Hills JD diet for Tristram costs me a sizeable amount each month and now the expensive treat is being shared by my honoured guests.

Early mornings after our walk, I am summoned by the loud: "Phee Pheeoo Phee" and the pellets are placed on the wall at the kitchen door, much to the chagrin of the 0live thrush pre- invasion was sole privy to this treat. On this wet summer's day, a morning snack was required and the birds were remarkably tame, allowing me to approach the wall and take photos of Junior feeding just behind the bay tree.

5 comments:

Gaelyn said...

This is a special treat certainly worth a little extra dog food. I saw some hornbills in Kruger.

Unknown said...

Just stopping by to see what you are up to, I have never seen a hornbill. They look as interesting as the amazing part of the world where you live.

Wishing you a lovely day.
Karen

Avril said...

You are honoured to have such rare guests!!! Lucky you! Seeing your bay tree .. I must plant one

Vicki Lane said...

What handsome birds! I put out dog food for our Blue Jays ( a crow relative.)

Anxiety Cause said...

I don't know this kind of bird but he certainly looks lovely!