Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Rescue

Rescue

Prompted by impulse
I enter the back garden
Lush in its green winter
Dormancy

A frog
Drifts on the surface of the
Too-blue pool
Splayed
Black eyes stare
I grab the scoop
Angle the basket beneath
The pale belly and outstretched limbs
And forklift him to safety

He crouches motionless
On leaf litter
Among the ferns
A small cobblestone
Tarnished bronze, black and green
Slick

Solicitous
I return thrice
To find him
In the selfsame place

For the man-made hazard
The crass treachery which mars his kingdom
I beg his pardon
 Then he is gone
Vanished into shady hiding

Absolved
I  marvel at the nudge
Which sent me
scurrying
Mid-task, mid-afternoon
To rescue
A frog

No comments: