Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Still Thursday


A close friend is awaiting the outcome of a job application abroad. A while ago, she felt God telling her to expect the unexpected. Shortly afterwards a friend who works in the same international corporate, notified her of a job vacancy in Switzerland which suits her skills exactly. In contrast, I feel called to fulfil myself in my humdrum niche: my house, garden, friends, hobbies and work. A passage in Kenneth Grahame’s “The Wind in the Willows” puts it beautifully:


“As the Mole hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, he saw clearly that he was an animal of tilled field and hedgerow, linked to the ploughed furrow, the frequented pasture, the lane of evening lingerings, the cultivated garden-plot. For others, the asperities, the stubborn endurance or the clash of actual conflict that went with Nature in the rough; he must be wise, must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last for a lifetime.”

No comments: