Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday, 11 August '09: 'The young Victoria'

Cast your republican sentiments aside (if you should have them), indulge in romance and view The young Victoria.

It stars Emily Blunt as the young queen - self-possessed, obstinate and true; Rupert Friend as her sensitive and loyal lover and husband. The movie was released in Pretoria in July and I am so pleased that I managed to find the time to see it on the big screen. The interiors of palaces are sumptuous backdrops to scenes of political and emotional manipulation as Victoria's scheming mother and her ambitious sidekick, John Conroy endeavour to intimidate the young Victoria. The beautifully laid out formal gardens make a wonderful backdrop for Queen Vic's chats with the charming Lord Melbourne (Paul Bettany) and her self-controlled trysts with Albert.

The match between the young Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg was a happy and fruitful one in all respects. They had nine children - four more than pictured in the portait above.

Albert died at just 42 leaving Victoria to carry on alone commanding her family and her Empire without her beloved husband. How refreshing that at least one British royal marriage was authentic. By the way it is not entirely a 'chick-flick'. Every man I've met who has viewed it has given it the thumbs up too.
Incidentally I am also reading Niall Ferguson's thought-provoking and meticulously researched history, entitled Empire, first published in 2003. Whether you live in the US, Australia, New Zealand, India or South Africa it makes for fascinating reading as he attempts to answer the question: How did an archipelago of rainy islands off the north-west coast of Europe come to rule the world? Now that can lead to endless discussion at a dinner table.

12 comments:

dulcy said...

Hello Eleanor........The film sounds lovely. I'll have to watch for it here. Saw "Little Ashes" last night at our local indie theater. About Salvador Dali and his early life. Beautifully done! Thanks so much for your comment on my bag. I have already started a new one, brown with red roses. Also, the pillow you remarked on is a needlepoint done by my mother. Love all your photographs!

Kat Mortensen said...

Did you see the British miniseries a few years back called, "Victoria and Albert"? It was really well done. I've been to Osborne House (QV's summer home) on the Isle of Wight. It was spectactular!

Kat

Jeannette StG said...

Thanks for alerting us to it - I love historic novel-kind-of-movies, so I'm going to see this one!

SmilingSally said...

This sounds like a good one; I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Sounds like a good film, Eleanor! I like to hear about true love and loyalty.

Vicki Lane said...

Sounds terrific! I'm always interested in British history!

Barbara Martin said...

I love all things Queen Victoria, so this movie will fit in well.

Janet said...

Sounds like something I'd enjoy - mind you P too! Thanks for sharing!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Sounds like a super movie Eleanor. I cannot tell you when last I went to see one.

Tracy said...

Hello, Eleanor! Lovely to chat up with you! :o) And many thanks for this great film recommendation, it sounds wonderful! I've always had an affinity for the UK and its history--this is brilliant! Thanks for letting us know. Happy Days ((HUGS))

Carrie said...

Sounds fascinating...I would like to see this very much!

Ms.Daisy said...

The Young Victoria is being released in the States in November and I cannot wait for this wonderful love story! I am enamored of all things Victoria.
I saw Julie & Julia today and loved 1t...I highly recommend!
Also, as a comment on your blog about how we do our blogging? As the muse strikes it now seems even though I did try doing the one-a-day thing. The only one I have stuck with is Spiritual Sundays which I find is a good fit for me.
I love visiting and leaving comments, however, I don't do it as much as I would like...time constraints mostly.

Hugs,
Jean