Still me

My photo
Bits and bobs about my life in my lovely home, Thatchwick Cottage, Pretoria, South Africa.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Tuesday, 25 August '09: Vuvuzela's buzz in My World


Love it, hate it? Makes no difference as the vuvuzela, that metre long plastic horn, blown by thousands at every soccer match in South Africa is here to stay. And that includes the 2010 World Cup which we are frenziedly preparing for over here in My World. Thousands of vuvuzelas together sound like a mass of angry bees, a sound carried clearly in the night air from the closeby Loftus Versfeld stadium through the windows of Thatchwick Cottage.

Up on Muckleneuck Hill, the Telkom tower boasts a giant soccer ball - spectacular at night. Maybe they need to add a vuvuzela!

The origins of the vuvuzela is said to be the horn of the kudu blown to summon African villagers to meetings. On 15 May 2004 when the announcement was made that South Africa would host the World Cup over 20 000 vuvuzela's were sold on the streets to blow in joyful anticipation of 2010 - a date that appears to have become a watershed as important as 1994.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! So I suggest you buy yourself a vuvuzela the moment you land next year at Oliver Tambo International airport to enjoy the World Cup. There will be plenty of vendors making a quick rand or two at every street corner. Or if you are just going to watch on the telly back home, send a mail order now so that your tubular package arrives on time. You can start early practising for couch-potato cheerleading in front of the screen.

Visit My World for other different ways of being across the globe.

16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I've always enjoyed the drumming and singing at soccer matches (as seen on TV - never been to a pro match in person.) The vuvuzelas don't seem quite as charming. Though I must confess, I'd kind of like to have one. There are times it might be useful in other aspects of life.
;-)

Gaelyn said...

Maybe when I come in March I'll pick one up.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Sorry, not for me. I am allergic to noise. LOL!! Blame my quiet time in the bush if you will but I can see how the enthusiasts enjoy this instrument. :)

I hope you are keeping well Eleanor.

Anonymous said...

Every World Cup needs a vuvuzela!

Hazel said...

Thanks for describing vuvuzelas. That's a nice thing to learn. I love the colors, and I'm happy to visit Thatchwick Cottage today:)

SandyCarlson said...

Just goes to show how local these international games can be! Thanks for this post.

Janet said...

I think they make a dreadful noise! Stacey said it was terrible in the stadium when she went to the Confed Cup opening! A little bit, goes a LONG way! :)

Gattina said...

How interesting ! I have never heard or seen vuvuzelas. My World is really an interesting meme.

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Eleanor! How are you sweetie? I guess your country is by soccer like we are by football. I need one of these to blow when my teams scores a touch down! :)

Louise said...

It seems soccer is taken QUITE seriously in your world!

Carver said...

The horns are so colorful and look like they would be fun but I can see how the sound of many together would be a bit hard to take. Great shots and an interesting post.

Arija said...

If I liged near by, I would take a two week holiday in the hills...give me real bees anyday.

Neil Tasker said...

Great post. I'm a huge football fan and have always loved the sound of these horns. Didn't know they were called vuvuzela's! I watched the Confederations Cup and it made me realise that the World Cup next year is going to be pretty special. I'm going to find one for next summer! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

Barb said...

Whoever owns the vuvuzela business is thriving, that's for sure! (Love your header.)

Glennis said...

Those horns a big and bright, I can imagine the kind of loud noise they must make. I think it would be quite deafening.

Vanessa Rogers said...

After the 2010 World Cup, I bet the ENT's will have their work cut out for them.